So, last night I was feeling ambitious and decided to make some nice fresh Whole Wheat Bread. I wasn’t sure what “proofing” is, and just decided to wing it. I followed Wes’ directions, and added the yeast to the butter, molasses, and milk (I used almond milk). I stirred it around, and got a little foam on top, and figured that was it.
I discovered two important things, just a little bit late, that I missed by using the end yeast packet (the one with nutritional info) instead of the middle one:
1) There are actually proofing instructions on the yeast packets. (you are supposed to let it sit for 10 minutes before continuing your recipe)
2) It is now 2015. Which means that the yeast I thought was good until April, actually expired many months ago.
So… I got this. A sad, heavy squishy biscuit bread. Not liking to waste food, I went to sleep trying to think of ways to use it… Hide-a-Key… Street Hockey…Yoga Block… This morning, I finally settled on slicing it very thin and using some of it as a crust for muffin cup frittatas. I threw the rest away.
Then I started again, this time really reading the instructions first, and using a much newer packet of yeast. After 10 minutes, it looked like this:
I was already way, way ahead.
Since I had used up most of my whole wheat flour on the first try, I used a combination of wheat, organic white, and even a little bit of oats. This time, the dough rose beautifully, all the way up to the edge of the pot, and baked the way it should.